Last Saturday Lauri Dickinson's dog Valentina got deathly ill from eating corn that was fed to the cranes in the Candelaria Wildlife Preserve on Veranda. Below is her letter telling us what she went through. Please be careful when walking your dogs in this area. Valentina is featured with Jesse on the February page of the Life is a Ditch 2015 calendar.
My dog was poisoned by the corn seed outside the fence on Veranda.
I spent $400 and four hours in the dog emergency hospital yesterday after my young and healthy puppy ate some of the corn
that people are feeding to the cranes.
Symptoms were disorientation, inability to walk, and tremors.
The vet said that it was most likely the fungicide that bird seed is treated with that caused the toxic reaction.
Corn can also ferment when ingested by dogs.
I am not sure why the seed was outside of the fence, but I found some more out there today.
I know that the Open Space asks that we do not feed the cranes, to protect them from being vulnerable to hunters when the cranes migrate - but here is another reason to refrain from feeding them!
PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE CRANES- OR LET THE SEED FALL OUTSIDE THE FENCE!
Please tell your neighbors not to let their dogs eat the seed.
I hope this will keep other dogs from being poisoned!
My dog is fine today, thankfully, but the symptoms persisted for over 8 hours.
Lauri Dickinson and Valentina